Lake Russell Recreation Area
ALERT: Lake Russell Recreation Area is closed. We continue to monitor this ever-changing situation along with the U.S. Forest Service. Follow this link for a list of current closures.
There’s something about a camping trip that inspires adventure. Escape to a place where you can enjoy a family fishing excursion, take a rejuvenating bike ride on one of the four nearby trails, or simply relax by the campfire. Situated along the peaceful shore of the 100-acre Lake Russell, this developed recreation area offers 42 campsites that accommodate both tent and RV camping and a picnic shelter with seating for 30. This North Georgia mountain mecca has something for everyone; swimming, camping, picnicking, hiking, biking, fishing and boating. Plan your getaway and find your next adventure here!
To purchase maps and guide books to this area, please visit us online at The Forest Store.
Things to Do
- Explore Anna Ruby Falls nearby and Atlanta only a few short hours away
- Visit Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia
- Hiking and Biking Trails: Lady Slipper Trail, Lake Russell Foot Trail, Rhododendron Trail, Sourwood Trail
- Shop the bavarian village of Helen, GA
- The nearest town is Cornelia, approximately 12 miles away.
- Mount Airy is nearby
- Find other northeast Georgia camping at Lake Rabun Beach, Lake Winfield Scott and Morganton Point Recreation Areas.
- Currently closed due to COVID-19.
- Open April – October
- 42 campsites for tents and RV’s (no hook-ups)
- 2 double campsites and 7 walk-in sites
- Grass-covered beach and swimming area
- Picnic shelter
- Boat launch
- Fishing dock
- Dump station
- Hiking trails
- Picnic areas
- Lake Russell WMA Map
Day Use Info
Day Use Parking – 1-6 persons: $5 per vehicle
Day Use Parking – Buses & Vans: $5 per vehicle plus $1 per person
Annual Day Use Pass: $30
Boat Launch $5
- Single Campsite – 5 persons & 2 vehicles: $18
- Double Campsite -10 persons & 4 vehicles: $36
- Group Campsite: $50
*Federal Interagency Senior/Access discounts only apply to single standard site rate. Does not apply to any other items or services. Card holder must be present on site to use discount.
Love the RV Lifestyle?
Be a Camp Host!
Being a host with the CFAIA is an exciting opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, meet new friends and provide assistance and information to visitors. Learn more about Camp Hosting here at Lake Russell Recreation Area or any of our other locations in Georgia, North Carolina or Indiana.