Brasstown Bald Recreation Area & Visitor Center
Gazers of the Galaxy registration for 2019 is now OPEN! The $5 admission fee includes shuttle service to the top. The recreation area, including the parking lot, Summit Trail and observation deck, is always open (weather permitting) to the public. Please call ahead to verify our open hours. After hours fee is $3 for individuals over 16 years of age. Brasstown Bald, GA, rising 4,784 feet above sea level, is Georgia’s tallest mountain. Its incredible 360 degree view allows you to see Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and South Carolina on a clear day. The changing seasons on Brasstown Bald offer visitors the opportunity to experience the wonders of nature for most of the year. You’ll have the opportunity to shop at our unique gift shop, tour a visitor center that focuses on Georgia history, geology and the natural world, and watch a 15-minute movie about the incredible changes to the Brasstown landscape during the year. Brasstown Bald is close to the towns of Helen, Blairsville, and Hiawassee, GA. Atlanta is only a few hours away, which makes it the perfect place to visit on your next Georgia camping trip. For mountain scenery and fall color, look no further than Brasstown Bald Visitor Center! Be sure to visit our other beautiful Recreation Area, Anna Ruby Falls, just a short drive from here.
Have you been here before?
To purchase maps and guide books to this area, please visit us online at The Forest Store.
Things to Do
- Beautiful Anna Ruby Falls is close by and Atlanta is only a few short hours away
- Find something fun to do on Anna Ruby Falls’ event calendar
- Hike some of the great trails at Lake Russell Recreation Area
- Visit the Bavarian village of Helen, GA
- Take a peek at this article in Southern Living Magazine by Annette Thompson called “Take the Georgia High Road” which mentions Brasstown Bald and will encourage you to “fall for autumn views” in northern Georgia!
Food & Facilities
- Viewing platform on the highest peak in GA!
- Shuttle service to summit
- Gift shop & general store
- Exhibit hall
- Hiking trails
- Picnic areas
- Mountain Top Theatre
- Dogs are permitted, but must be kept on a leash at all times. Owners must clean up after their pets.
Programs & Events
- April 26 – Gazers of the Galaxy
- May 3 – Gazers of the Galaxy
- May 10 – Gazers of the Galaxy
- May 11 -Solar Astronomy
- May 11 – Gazers of the Galaxy
- May 18 – Hungry Birds of NE Georgia
Hours & Fees
- May – November (peak season) open daily 10am-5pm
- December – April as weather allows. Please call to verify hours of operation.
- $5.00 per person ages 16 and up – includes shuttle service
- Free for Senior Access & Interagency Pass Holders – does not include shuttle service Shuttle Service for passholders – $2.00
Location & Contact Info
Gift Shop: 706-896-4137
Visitor Center: 706-896-2556
Blue Ridge Ranger District: 706-745-6928