Cliffside Lake Recreation Area & Van Hook Glade Campground
Alert: Due to the increase in close and serious bear encounters on the District, the Nantahala Ranger District is strongly recommending that all overnight campers use bear proof containers for all food and scented items and to store those items in the trunk of their vehicles. Bear Warning Bear Notice
***Get your BearVault food container at The Forest Store.com***
Van Hook Glade Campground is approximately four miles from the heart of Highlands, NC in Nantahala National Forest and very close to Franklin, NC. This small, secluded campground is directly across the street from the beautiful Cullasaja River. Up the hill from the campground, you’ll find Cliffside Lake Recreation Area, a tucked-away haven of tranquility, where you can swim, fish, hike, picnic, and take part in family nature programs. Gather your favorite people and escape the every day routine at Van Hook Glade Campground and Cliffside Lake Recreation Area. Heading to Brevard, NC or Asheville, NC?
To purchase maps and guide books to this area, please visit us online at The Forest Store.
Events & Things to Do
- Cliffside Lake Rec. Area turns 80 years old in July. Join us for the celebration!
- May 27 & July 5 at 11AM – Raptor Programs featuring feathered friends from Balsam Mountain Trust
- June 1 Kids Fishing Day
- Visit Dry Falls
- Highlands Nature Center & Botanical Garden
- Hike Bartram Trail
- Visit Bridal Veil Falls
- Shop in downtown Highlands
- Visit the Bascom Center for Visual Arts
- Enjoy events at the Cradle of Forestry Heritage Site
- Open April – October
- 18 standard campsites for tents and small RV’s
- Hot showers and flush toilets at the campground
- Fire wood and starter available for purchase
- Picnic tables, tent pads & fire rings
- Recreation area has swimming, hiking, shelters and fishing available
- Campground Map
- Campground Map 2
- Campground Vicinity Map
- Campground Rules
Reservation & Contact Info
Or call Toll Free: 1-877-444-6777 to make a reservation
14014 Highlands Road
Highlands, NC 28741
GPS: 35° 04’ 38.76” N, 83° 14’ 53.76 W
Elevation: 4,118 Feet
Van Hook Glade Campsites:
Maximum Occupancy per site: 8 persons / 2 cars / 2 tents or 1 RV & 1 tent – $20
*Federal Interagency Senior/Access discounts only apply to single standard site rate. Does not apply to any other items or services. Card holder must be present on site to use discount.
Day Use Fees
- Day use per vehicle – $5
- Annual Pass – $20
- Picnic Shelters: Small shelter for 1/2 day – $25 (does not include day use fee)
Large shelter for 1/2 day – $35 (does not include day use fee)
- Only cash and checks accepted at this facility
Love the RV Lifestyle?
Be a Camp Host!
Being a host with the CFAIA is an exciting opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, meet new friends and provide assistance and information to visitors. Learn more about Camp Hosting here at Van Hook Glade Campground or any of our other locations in North Carolina, Georgia, or Indiana.