Lake Powhatan Recreation Area & Campground
Lake Powhatan is the finest in Asheville camping and is close to where the action is! Located only 10 minutes from Asheville, North Carolina, this is the perfect spot to base your vacation. The campground borders the 6,000-acre Bent Creek Experimental Forest, a haven for mountain bikers, and is close to the French Broad River. The swimming lake and beach will give you a way to cool off in the heat of the summer, and for those who like to be out-and-about, the NC Arboretum and Blue Ridge Parkway are only a few miles from the entrance to the campground. Looking for camping in Asheville, NC? Nearby campgrounds in the area include North Mills River and Davidson River.
Things to Do
- Schedule a private hiking or waterfall tour with the Pisgah Field School
- NC Arboretum
- Cradle of Forestry in America Heritage Site
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Tubing on the French Broad River
- Visit unique Asheville, NC
- Travel distances to nearby cities and attractions.
- Open March – November
- Weekend family programs Memorial Day – labor Day
- Full hook-ups on Lakeside Loop – sites 36-56
- 97 mostly shaded sites
- Limited electric hook-ups
- Picnic tables, tent pads & fire rings
- Hot Showers and Flush Toilets in bathhouses
- Firewood and ice available for purchase
- Beach and swimming lake with lifeguard. No canoes, kayaks or SUPS.
- Day-use passes available for purchase
- Campground Map
- Campground Rules
Reservation & Contact Info
Make an online Reservation for Lake Powhatan
Or call Toll Free: 1-877-444-6777 to make a reservation
375 Wesley Branch Road
Asheville, NC 28806
GPS: N35.48773 W82.62966
Elevation: 2,100 feet
Day Use Info
Day Use per person: $2
Day Use annual pass: $30 available for purchase at the gatehouse
Safety in bear country begins before you stay in the campground or hit the trail. Here are a few tips!
- Single Campsite – Maximum Occupancy: 8 persons, 2 cars – $22
- Double Campsite – Maximum Occupancy: 16 persons, 4 cars, 4 tents – $44
- Electric $6.00/day
- Electric, Water & Sewer $9.00/day
- Dump Station – (non-registered campers) $10
- 3rd Vehicle (park in overflow) $5.00/day
- Dump Station – Tour Buses $50
- Additional Vehicles: $5
*Federal Interagency Senior/Access discounts only apply to single standard site rate. Does not apply to any other items or services. Card holder must be present on site to use discount.
Cash, checks, and credit cards accepted at this facility.
Love the RV Lifestyle?
Become a Camp Host!
Being a host with the CFAIA is an exciting opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, meet new friends and provide assistance and information to visitors. Learn more about Camp Hosting here at Lake Powhatan or any of our other locations in North Carolina, Georgia or Indiana.