Sliding Rock Recreation AreaSliding Rock is a 60 foot mountain water slide that ends in an 8 foot deep pool of water. Nearly 11,000 gallons of water per minute power this natural wonder. Onlookers can watch the fun from two observation platforms. The site is staffed from Memorial Day to Labor Day and is open 7 days a week. This area is heavily used between the hours of 12 noon and 4 pm, so please come early. After Labor Day weekend, it is staffed intermittently thru mid-October. The recreation area may close due to heavy rainfall and increased water levels. Visitors can call 828-885-7625 (885-ROCK) for any weather closure updates. Been there done that and need the t-shirt? Visit The Forest Store to purchase a Sliding Rock t-shirt, ball cap, or coffee mug! We also carry a variety of maps, hiking guides and collectibles.
PLEASE REMEMBER: Swim at your own risk. Slide in seated position ONLY. No running. No throwing or moving rocks.
Things to Do
- Visit the Cradle of Forestry in America Heritage Site April 8 – November 1
- Grab lunch at the Cradle of Forestry Cafe
- Enjoy nearby Looking Glass Falls
- The Blue Ridge Parkway, just a short drive away
- Hiking, swimming, and camping at nearby Davidson River Campground
- Shop in Brevard approximately 8 miles away.
Food & Facilities
- Two viewing platforms
- Restrooms are open when park is staffed
- To ease congestion in the parking area, picnicking is not allowed. However, you can grab lunch at the Cafe at the Cradle of Forestry Heritage Site. It’s only 4 miles, turn left when leaving Sliding Rock.
For Your Safety
- You must know how to swim (the pool is approximately 8 feet deep)
- Children under 7 years must slide with an adult (one adult per child and children must be able to SWIM)
- Life jackets are the only floatation devices allowed
- Slide in sitting position ONLY.
- NO Alcohol or Picnicking Permitted.
- Pets must be on a leash.
- All visiting groups must adequately supervise and maintain control of their group at ALL TIMES.
- The recreation area may close due to heavy rainfall and increased water levels. Visitors can call 828-885-7625 (885-ROCK) for any weather closure updates.
Tips for a More Enjoyable Visit:
- Sliding Rock is a unique natural area, therefore limited parking is available.
- Periodically, the parking area fills up and will be closed until spaces become available.
- You may be directed to visit other nearby areas and come back later.
- Exercise patience, be prepared and plan accordingly.
- Try avoiding peak visiting hours of 12-4 pm.
- To avoid congestion in the parking lot, no picnicking is allowed.
- Picnic at nearby Pink Beds, four miles away. Or, find riverside tables along US 276.
Hours & Fees
- Entrance Fee $2.00 per person
- No Refunds
- Cash and checks accepted. No credit card payments.
- Staffed Memorial Day - Labor Day 10 am-6 pm
- Staffed intermittently after Labor Day through mid-October
- Camp counselors must sign in with Site Manager/Lifeguard BEFORE campers slide. Group limit is 50 people per day including counselors and viewers.