Cliffside Lake Recreation Area & Van Hook Glade Campground
Van Hook Glade Campground is approximately four miles from the heart of Highlands, NC in Nantahala National Forest and very close to Franklin, NC. This small, secluded campground is directly across the street from the beautiful Cullasaja River. Up the hill from the campground, you'll find Cliffside Lake Recreation Area, a tucked-away haven of tranquility, where you can swim, fish, hike, picnic, and take part in family nature programs. Gather your favorite people and escape the every day routine at Van Hook Glade Campground and Cliffside Lake Recreation Area. Heading to Brevard, NC or Asheville, NC? Make sure to visit our other campground locations at Davidson River, North Mills River and Lake Powhatan.
To purchase maps and guide books to this area, please visit us online at The Forest Store.
Things to Do
- Dry Falls
- Highlands Nature Center & Botanical Garden
- Bartram Trail
- Bridal Veil Falls
- Shop in downtown Highlands
- Visit the Bascom
- Open April - October
- 2017 dates for the Balsam Mountain Raptor Programs are pending. Check back later.
- 18 standard campsites for tents and small RV's
- Hot showers and flush toilets at the campground
- Fire wood and starter available for purchase
- Picnic tables, tent pads & fire rings
- Recreation area has swimming, hiking, shelters and fishing available
- Weekend programs during the summer season
- Campground Map
- Campground Map 2
- Campground Vicinity Map
- Campground Rules
Reservation & Contact Info
or Call Toll Free 1-877-444-6777
14014 Highlands Road
Highlands, NC 28741
GPS: 35° 04’ 38.76” N, 83° 14’ 53.76 W
Elevation: 4,118 Feet
Van Hook Glade Campsites:
Maximum Occupancy per site: 8 persons / 2 cars / 2 tents or 1 RV & 1 tent – $20
*Federal Interagency Senior/Access discounts only apply to single standard site rate. Does not apply to any other items or services. Card holder must be present on site to use discount.
Day Use Fees
- Day use per vehicle – $5
- Annual Pass – $20
- Picnic Shelters: Small shelter for 1/2 day – $25 (does not include day use fee)
Large shelter for 1/2 day – $35 (does not include day use fee)
- Only cash and checks accepted at this facility
Love the RV Lifestyle?
Be a Camp Host!
Being a host with the CFAIA is an exciting opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, meet new friends and provide assistance and information to visitors. Learn more about Camp Hosting here at Van Hook Glade Campground or any of our other locations in North Carolina, Georgia, or Indiana.